Summary: Read on this guide and you can learn how to convert Sony NEX-5R AVCHD clips to Final Cut Pro ProRes 422 video for importing Sony NEX-5R 1080p MTS to FCP 6/7/X with smooth editing.
The Sony Alpha NEX-5R is as fast as the world you’re trying to capture. It shoots Full HD movies. Capture HD Movies in your choice of super-smooth 60p, standard 60i or cinematic 24p, all at Full HD 1920x1080 resolution. The recordings’ format of NEX-5R is the AVCHD which delivers stunning picture quality while the MP4 codec lets you compress to smaller files for easier upload to the web. However, if you want to edit Sony AVCHD MTS in Final Cut Pro on Mac OS X, you will meet some problems.
As far as we know, the problems mainly lie in that Final Cut Pro, (FCP 6/7 and FCP X) cannot support the native AVCHD footages from NEX-5R. So the first problem you have to solve is how to transcode Sony NEX-5R AVCHD to ProRes, the codec which is specially designed for editing with Final Cut Pro.
Here we recommend the best AVCHD to ProRes Converter. Its great performance and all the FCP compatible formats included(Apple ProRes 422 HQ, Apple ProRes 422, Apple ProRes 422 LT, etc) make it easier for you to import and edit your 1080 50p/60p files from Sony NEX-5R in Final Cut Pro. Just download it and follow the guide on converting Sony NEX-5R MTS to ProRes 422 below.
Easy steps to convert Sony NEX-5R AVCHD to Apple ProRes MOV for FCP
1. Install and launch Brorsoft MTS/M2TS Converter for Mac to dag and drop Sony NEX-5R AVCHD videos to this software. Or, you can click the Add button to load your MTS footage to the program.
Tip: If you want to join the files together, please tick the box “Merge into one” on the main interface.
2. Press the Format box and select one of the Apple ProRes codecs on the dropdown list. You are advised to choose “Apple ProRes 422 (*.mov)”or “Apple ProRes 422 HQ (*.mov)” as the export.
3. Click the “Settings” icon and you’d better set the video size as 1920*1080, video frame rate as 30fps(or 25fps PAL)for importing Sony NEX-5R 1080p MTS to FCP with the best quality.
4. Hit he button for “Convert” and start converting Sony NEX-5R AVCHD to FCP ProRes 422 .mov video on Mac OS X (Lion and Mountain Lion) immediately.
Once the 1080p AVCHD to Apple ProRes conversion finished, you can run the Final Cut Pro and click File —> Import —> Files to import the converted files and edit them in Final Cut Pro 6/7/X without any rendering or incompatibility problem.
* If you have problems when importing or editing your Canon, Sony, Panasonic etc, camera video files, you can check out “Brorsoft Camcorder/Camera Importing Tips" or "FCE, FCP, iMovie Column" to get your solutions.
Related Guide & Tips:
Convert Sony VG900 AVCHD 1080p/1080i to Avid MC 6.5
Get Sony NEX-VG900 1080/60P AVCHD into FCP
Convert Sony NEX-VG20 AVCHD to ProRes for FCP X
Import Sony NEX-FS700 AVCHD clips to Final Cut Pro 7
Transcode Sony NEX-5N AVCHD to ProRes for FCP on Mac OS Lion
Import Sony 3D DEV-5 .mts footage to Final Cut Pro X
How to Transfer MXF files to ProRes for Final Cut Pro